Monday, October 26, 2009

October Newsletter

BECOMING LIKE CHRIST
In Philippians 3:10 - 11 Paul writes, “I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.” The first part of this verse sounds pretty nice. Who wouldn’t want to know the power of resurrection? All of us want to have life and be able to live it to the full. None of us want the spiritual and often physical and mental death that are associated with sin. But what about that second part? Do we really want to fellowship with Jesus in his suffering? Do we really want to become like him by dying to ourselves? That sounds a little too painful. Shouldn’t life with Christ be filled with joy, health, love, etc.?

It would be nice to think that the resurrection God offers us is as easy a transaction as accepting a gift at Christmas time. But the truth is that true resurrection cannot take place until a true death has occurred. And how can a true death occur except through sorrow and suffering? It is one of the paradoxes of life that true growth, joy, love, good character, wisdom, etc. can only come through trials, difficulties and pain. Dying to self is not easy, but through it we are able to know Christ and the power of his resurrection.

Living in Rwanda has not always been the easiest thing for me. However, I’m convinced that God is using even the difficult and painful things in order to bring me to a place where I can know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing with him in his suffering. May He do the same for you.

SUPPORT UPDATE

I am now 50% supported. This means that I still need to raise a little more than $1,000/month in pledges. I must be 100% supported before I can buy my plane ticket. I'm hoping to arrive in Rwanda by the end of November so that I can have time to get organized before school starts in January. If you would like to become one of my financial supporters please e-mail Laurie in the EFM office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home