Saturday, December 12, 2009

Returning to Rwanda

On December 3rd I left the Northwest, but instead of heading straight to Rwanda, I made a stop in Minnesota to visit some friends. First I was able to spend two and a half days with the Bennetts. I had taught Megan and Mellissa at the missionary school in Rwanda and it was great to see them and their family while they're home on furlough. I was able to help Barb with a Rwandan dinner at their church, help out in Megan's 5th grade classroom, hang out with the girls while Garry and Barb went out, and build a snowman in the beautiful snow.














Then I went to visit a good friend in Minneapolis. Aimee and I have been friends since highschool. We both went to George Fox and I was able to stay with her in Seattle before I left for my first term in Rwanda in 2006. While I was in Rwanda, she married Jeremy and they moved to Minnesota where he is from. It was fun catching up, seeing the chickens they raise in their back yard, getting a tour of their house which they are remodeling, and hanging out with Aimee at a craft sale.

On December 7th I left the states to return to Rwanda. After 24 hours of flights and layovers, I arrived at the Kigali International Airport and was greeted by the Thomases, the Carpenters, Molly and Liz. It was great to return to 78 degree weather, my old house, and new, more comfortable living room furniture. The last few days have been busy with learning Kinyarwanda, helping Molly and Liz out at the school while Johnny and Drew are in Kenya, running errands and having meetings. Next week Dave, Brad and I will be going to Kidaho and Butaro to visit with the school headmasters and the area administrator. I'm looking forward to moving to the Ruhengeri area, probably in January, and getting started with teaching English.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

I've been thinking about you - glad you made it back safely!
Wow - remind me not to have my picture taken in my pajamas anymore. =)

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home